Whether you work in a corporate office with a six-figure salary or waiting tables at a local restaurant, there are a lot of things on your plate. Problems from work and personal life keep on piling. Sometimes, all you need is to take a step back and approach these problems with a new perspective.
The best way to do that is by taking a breather and spending some quality time with the people you love. Going to the beach has always been a great way to enjoy and refresh one’s mind. Simply lying back while looking at the ocean and sipping Pina Colada can change how you think. When we talk about beaches, there are certain accessories people take with them. Beach mats are one of them and by using them; one can enhance their level of comfort on the beach.
Top Selling Beach Mats
|Ranking||Preview||Product Name||Our Rating|
Camco Handy Mat with Strap, Perfect for Picnics, Beaches, RV and Outings,...
||2,442 Reviews||View Product|
Mumu Sugar Sand Free Beach Blanket, Large Oversized Waterproof Quick Drying...
||101 Reviews||View Product|
ISOPHO Outdoor Beach Blanket 79‘’ x 83’’ Waterproof Picnic Blanket,...
||53 Reviews||View Product|
KeShi Sand Free Beach Blanket, Large Oversized Waterproof Sand Proof Beach...
||37 Reviews||View Product|
Wekapo Sand Proof Beach Blanket (Blue)
Why do you need beach mats?
There are people who ask why they should spend money on beach mats when they can use bedsheets instead. While bed sheets are large enough to take care of everything, they are entirely not up to the task. The first problem you’ll face is water absorption. While beach mats can resist water up to a certain degree, it will only take seconds for bedsheets to get wet. Similarly, beach mats are quite thick and made of insulating material. This allows them to offer protection from the hot sand.
Additionally, beach mats are also quite large. This allows you to keep a number of things on them. Also, if you are with a family, all of you can easily stretch out and have a good time. These mats usually come with waterproof pockets as well. You can safely keep your mobile phones, wallets, gadgets, and other things you want to save from water.
Common materials in beach mats
Beach mats commonly consist of different materials and all of them slightly differ in properties. In this section, we’ll take a closer look at the materials and their properties.
- Cotton: Cotton is an extremely soft option that is both breathable and machine friendly. After a picnic, stains are pretty common and sometimes they are hard to deal with while washing by hand. Being machine friendly, cotton mats allow you to stay carefree in your picnic.
- Fleece: This is the material mostly used in hoodies and blankets. Fleece is extremely soft and remains that way even after many washes. Fleece retains its integrity after use in both washing machines and dryers which make it easier to wash. It doesn’t get et that easily and remains usable for many years after purchasing.
- Foam: Foam generally acts as padding for beach mats. It provides protection from both water and heat to the users. However, beach mats with foam padding are harder to maintain because they are not machine friendly. Similarly, if they are not Dry Cleaned after season, there are high chances of mold growth.
- Parachute Nylon: Nylon is the best material for beach mats. It is both stain and moisture resistant and has a very smooth texture. For portability, nylon has the capability of crushing up, which means that almost negligible space is required for its storage. Parachute nylon is also quite durable and does not tear easily. One drawback of nylon, however, is that the material is not too breathable which may cause discomfort for some people.
- Microfiber: Microfiber is another versatile material commonly used in beach mats. It is both soft and lightweight. Similarly, the pack-ability of microfiber is comparable to nylon, which makes it a great choice for beaches. Microfiber also has great water-absorbing capabilities and it can dry in a very short time. It is very easy to dye microfibers in different colors so they are easily available in the market.
- Linen: Linen is commonly used to make summer clothes. It has excellent sand and water-repelling properties which is excellent for use on a beach. However, when it comes to durability, Linen demands a lot of care. Even if it is not folded properly, it tends to get brittle sometimes which means you need to replace it quite often.
Things to consider before buying a beach mat
- Fabric: As indicated in the last section, the fabric plays a very important role in determining the properties of a certain beach mat. Similarly, due to the difference in the prices of the aforementioned fabrics, it has a significant effect on the price of the beach mat.
- Size: The size you need depends on many factors like the number of people you usually go to the beach with, things you take, etc. If a person usually visits the beach with his whole family, he should opt for a beach mat big enough for everyone.
- Thickness: The thickness of the beach is another important factor. Many mats are made up of multiple layers of different materials like foam, fleece, etc. They are extremely comfortable as both heat and water do not affect you. However, they take a lot of space and cannot be neatly folded. Similarly, it’s impossible to wash beach mats with foams and you’ll have to pay for expensive Dry Cleaning after every use. If not dry cleaned, the chances of mold growth increase significantly in areas with a humid climate.
- Location of use: As their name suggests, beach mats are primarily made to prevent sand and water from disturbing the users. Their varying thickness, shape, and size allow them to have different pros and cons. For example, a nylon mat would be perfect for any location but a cotton mat with a foam base would not be a good choice for a damp climate.
- Maintenance: It’s very important to consider the maintenance requirements and the durability of the mats before purchasing them. A pure cotton or microfiber mat can be easily washed in a machine, but there are many models that require expensive Dry Cleaning. Similarly, it is important to check the durability of the mat before purchase. It’s not smart to spend money on one thing every other year.
If you are not going to the beach alone, having a beach mat would do you wonders. You can have a great picnic near the sea without any fear of hindrance by sand or water. Even if you are planning to lie down in the sun and get a natural tan, beach mats would be perfect for you.